Sunday, September 28, 2008

God's will

Last Thursday was a very sad day for the leaders of my church when our pastor announced his decision to move as the Lord is leading him to another place yet to be determined. He is simply obeying to the still small voice of the Lord. As for me, on Thursday, I saw a real man of faith who is willing to give up every thing and prepare himself go to the unknown and knowing that the Lord will take care of him. I know it is not an easy call for him but he believes obedience is better than sacrifice.

It came as a surprise to many of the leaders. None of us wants him to leave. He has been serving our church faithfully for 17 years. For me, he is my mentor and my spiritual father. During 2.5 years in the church, he taught me a lot of things and give me the space to serve God.

The whole decision of our pastor to leave is narrowed down to one point -- following the will of God. I remember in 31 December 2005, the Lord spoke clearly to me during the watch night service that our time in Melaka is over and He told us to get ready to move to a new place. It is not easy at all especially leaving our newly purchased house, friends, a stable work with defined career path and others to a new unknown place. Trust me, it was not easy at all. But today, as I look back, I thank God for the obedience in listening to His still small voice. HE is faithful to lead us through and HIS plan and will are perfect for our lives.

George Muller, an English evangelist and philanthropist wrote an essay on the will of God. Here is what he set out to ascertain the will of God in daily basis:

  • I seek at the beginning to get my heart into such a state that it has no will of its own in regard to a given matter. Nine-tenths of the trouble with people generally is just here. Nine-tenths of the difficulties are over come when our hearts are ready to do the Lord's will, whatever it may be. When one is truly in this state, it is usually but a little way to the knowledge of what His will is.
  • Having done this, I do not leave the result to feeling or simple impression. If so, I make myself liable to great delusions.
  • I seek the Will of the Spirit of God through, or in connection with, the Word of God. The Spirit and the Word must be combined. If I look to the Spirit alone without the Word, I lay myself open to great delusions also. If the Holy Ghost guides us at all, He will do it according to the Scriptures and never contrary to them.
  • Next I take into account providential circumstances. These often plainly indicate God's Will in connection with His Word and Spirit.
  • I ask God in prayer to reveal His Will to me aright.
  • Thus, through prayer to God, the study of the Word, and reflection, I come to a deliberate judgment according to the best of my ability and knowledge, and if my mind is thus at peace, and continues so after two or three more petitions, I proceed accordingly. In trivial matters, and in transactions involving most important issues, I have found this method always effective.
Jesus himself taught us that knowing God's will and living in obedience to the Father's will is the key to life abundance. We are his clay and He is our potter. As we surrender to His will, He will shape us to be more Christ-like. So surrender your life daily and spent time at the feet of Jesus. Be blessed.

‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declared the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future’ - Jeremiah 29:11

No comments: