Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Sweet Sleep

Yesterday, I was covering on the topic of worries and today I want to zoom into one of the outcome of worries that is sleeping disorder. Today, a lot of people suffer from this condition.

The 2002 National Sleep Foundation (NSF) Sleep in America poll found that 74 percent of American adults are experiencing a sleeping problem a few nights a week or more, 39% get less than seven hours of sleep each weeknight.

I wonder what is the statistics like for my nation especially with the current economic turmoil. Worry is definitely one of the reason for causing sleep disorder but there are other reasons that add to this condition.

Good sleep is a basic necessity of life, as important to our health and well-being as air, food and water. When we sleep well, we wake up feeling refreshed, alert and ready to face daily challenges. When we don't, every part of our lives can suffer. Our jobs, relationships, productivity, health and safety are all put at risk. And lack of sleep due to sleep loss or sleep disorders is taking a serious toll.

Proverbs 3:24 says "When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet". The Lord provides a way for us to have sweet sleep. Psalms 3:5 says "I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me".

In order for us to have a sweet sleep, the Bible gives us a little instruction in Psalms 4:4 that says "...when you are on your beds, search your heart and be silent". How do we search our heart and be silent? I believe strongly this is a call for a time of devotion and prayer before sleep. Surrendering our worries, our cares and our troubles at the feet of Jesus will help us to have sweet sleep. Psalms 4:8 continue to elaborate on the outcome. The Psalmist says "I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety “.

So my friend as you lay down to sleep, I pray that the Lord gives you sweet dreams, a restful sleep. That you sleep in peace and wake up refreshed in the Lord.

Be Blessed.

1 comment:

anna said...

coincidentally, one of the topics in my class today was sleeping disorder! was quite surprised to learn that insomnia is such a common problem.. the remedies recommended are forming a consistent sleeping pattern, relaxation techniques, imagining urself being relaxed... but i believe worry is the leading cause. couldnt agree more with you. surrendering all our worries to God will give us sweet sleep!!