Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Politics in the Christian Community


I was contemplating to write this article for a long time. I don't want to be judgemental in my writings as it will not bring honor to God. But recent turn of events had inspired me to write this so that we are aware and be conscious in our Christian walk. When I write this article, I am reminding myself about the danger of myself getting involved in church politics.

I am fully aware of the political game being played both in a nation and also in the corporate world. In fact, in the corporate sector, this is almost norm in many organization. But seeing it in the House of God brings heartache and sadness for me. I thought Christian suppose to shine the Light of Jesus to the world and be a role model to a dying world.

Recently I came to understand the intense of politics in the Christian community when I see one leader (Leader1) stopping the another leader (Leader 2) from being successful in his/her ministry. Sadly, both of the of ministers are under the same denomination. Leader 1 used to be head of the ministry at the national level and Leader 2 is the newly appointed leader of the ministry. Leader 1 has given instruction to his members not to be involved in the national leadership team of Leader 2. Mind you, Leader 1 has a group of talented leaders for this particular ministry.

Church politics comes about when christian departs from either the leadership of the Holy Spirit or from the guidance of the Bible. The Word of God has clear guidelines and standard laid for Godly leadership practice and the Holy Spirit will reinforce it when we are willing to listen to His still small voice.

The problem is when we depart from the standard and guidelines of the Word and the leadership of the Holy Spirit, we begin to engage in religious spirit. This religious spirit seeks to counterfeit the voice and authority of the Holy Spirit in the life of the leader. Even the partial influence of a religious spirit will have a negative effect on the development of the work of God. Religious spirits leads people to legalism and formalism These religious spirits seek to divert our very purpose in serving Christ. Religious spirits operate deceptively, justifying selfish behavior on the part of leadership. Such spirits seek to lead people into greater bondage.

I believe a leader should be a role model in love and servant heart and not simply preach it so that he might be loved and served. Church politics replaces the values taught by Christ of love and servant heart. This leads to pride, ambition and a love of power and I am sure it will grieve the Holy Spirit.

The bible has many example of this. Extreme politics took place during King Saul and David's time. King Saul used various tactics hoping to kill David, but without success, because God was with David. The entire story gives us many insights into christian politics which is active in many segments of church life today. The sad thing about this is the consequences or the end result. Along the way, King Saul killed many true priests of the Lord because they had innocently sheltered David. In the same way, those with a church politics will seek, if possible, to kill the ministry of anyone they perceive to be helping those of whom they are jealous.

Today, I pray the Lord will give us servant hood heart as we serve Him in the last days. The lives of great men and women in God's Kingdom are marked by humble service. They never seek to be lifted up to a prominent place. They served God sacrificially, with a heart of humility. Samuel Brengle, who, when he was referred to as great, wrote in his diary, "If I appear great in their eyes, the Lord is most graciously helping me to see how absolutely nothing I am without Him, and helping me to keep little in my own eyes. He does use me. But I am so concerned that He uses me and that it is not of me the work is done. The axe cannot boast of the trees that it has cut down. It could do nothing but for the woodsman. He made it, he sharpened it, and he used it. The moment he throws it aside, it becomes only old iron. O that I may never lose sight of this"

Luke 9:48 - "...because the one who is least among all of you is the one who is greatest."

Be Blessed.

2 comments:

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Well said and well brought forward. For far too long now people has been quiet about this "disease" that had plaque our Christian community! God bless the survivors!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your insight. God bless and keep up the good thoughts.

Tom Payne

tompayne@hotmail.com