Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Great Couple

I thank God for the opportunity HE has given me to further my studies in Dunedin, New Zealand. There are lots of fond memories of New Zealand that is still fresh in my mind. But one thing that is very dear to my heart is the opportunity to get to know Uncle James and Auntie Evelyn.

I get to know Uncle James and Auntie Evelyn when I first attended Southern Hills Christian Center in South Dunedin (now known as Nations Christian Centre). It is a vibrant AG church in Dunedin. If you are in Dunedin on Sunday, don't forget to visit the Nations (http://www.nations.co.nz/). They have a great pastor, great music team and great people.

My good friend, Eddy Law, introduced me to the church as I was looking for place where I can grow and serve. It was my first experience attending a church outside of my nation. To be honest, I was a bit loss especially understanding the new environment and culture. But in the midst of the congregation, I saw this awesome couple. Honestly seeing an Indian couple (in the midst of Kiwis, some Malaysian Chinese, one Iban guy (now known as Dr. Lorend...a.k.a the singing dentist) and some others nationality) is a real joy and pleasant surprise. Uncle James and Auntie Evelyn were the elders of the church. They have been residing in Dunedin since they migrated from Fiji.

Eventually they become my mum and dad in Dunedin. They took care of me like their own son. Above all, they made me to be involved actively in the church and in fact challenge us to start the campus ministry in Otago. They are always every ready to meet our needs. Uncle James will faithfully drive us around especially during holiday period where he will be extremely busy sending the foreign students to the airport. Auntie Evelyn on the other hand would always cook for us home cook meal especially after church and during our cell meeting. One of my favorite dish is samosa. Auntie is an expert in baking cakes especially fruit cake.

Uncle and Auntie has a big heart for foreign students. They would give their very best to anyone who come across their path. We started Hope in Campus to reach out to the foreign students in Dunedin. I remember the days where we organize free BBQ parties and there will be over 100 students coming this gathering. Auntie would faithful prepare all the BBQ meat especially marinating them with her special sauce. Uncle would make sure that logistics arrangement are done so that all those who attend the BBQ party are blessed. Today, Hope in Campus is known as the CitySide church of Nations Christian Center with a congregation over 70 people. God is awesome!!!

Both Uncle and Auntie live a very simple life but they have a big faith as the know they serve a big God. Till today, they are still impacting lives of the students in Dunedin in their own special way. They thought me about humbleness.

Recently, Uncle James received his ordination from Assemblies of God New Zealand. I told Auntie that long before this, Uncle has already been shepherding us. He is has been our pastor in one way another.

There are no words to describe how much I adore and love Uncle and Auntie. They have been my God sent guardian when I was in New Zealand. Till today, we still speak over the phone and correspond via email. Everyday, I thank God for Uncle James and Auntie Evelyn. For their love, their care and for investing in my life. They have been a great model for me and been a great example and blessing.

Uncle James and Auntie Evelyn, thank you so much for investing in my life and for being such a good role model to me and Sathy.

Happy 37th wedding anniversary. May the good Lord bless both of you always.

No comments: