Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Until The Last Spike Is Driven

Stephen Ambrose's book, Nothing Like It in the World, tells the story of the building of the Transcontinental Railroad in America. He describes the moment when construction was to begin and certain people decided that there ought to be a great ceremony. A host of dignitaries were invited together at the place where the first rail was to be laid. One of those invited was Collis Huntington, perhaps the railroad's most important West Coast backer in California. But he declined, saying, "Anybody can drive the first spike, but there are months of labor and unrest between the first and the last spike." When construction of the railroad was finally completed in May, 1869, the last spike, a golden one at that, was pounded into place and a telegram sent to President Ulysses S. Grant: "Sir, we have the honor to report that the last rail is laid, the last spike is driven, the Pacific Railroad is finished." Now Collis Huntington had something to celebrate!

Paul felt that way too: "Forgetting what is behind...I press on toward the goal to win the prize" (Php 3:13-14 NIV). Almost fifty years ago Thomas Merton wrote, "If you want to identify me, ask me not where I live, or what I like to eat, or how I comb my hair. But ask me what I think I am living for, in detail, and ask me what I think is keeping me from living fully for the thing I want to live for - Christ!" That's a question we each need to ask ourselves - daily!

Be Blessed.

Note: The article is taken from The Word for Today", by Rhema Broadcasting Group in association with The Vine - www.thevine.co.nz

No comments: