Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Rock Cries Out

Over the weekend I was busy clearing some old stuffs at home. While cleaning, I came across an old cassette that I purchased in the early 1990. It was my first Christian rock music collection and it was a compilation of songs from a group called themselves Petra. Talking about purchasing music album, it is something precious to me in my younger days. I need save enough money from my pocket money for school and normally I am able to buy a maximum two cassette year. It was not easy to find much money those days. The cassette becomes so precious.

Anyway, back to Petra. Petra was a prominent Christian rock band, regarded by many as a pioneer of the Christian rock. I love their music as it is a mixture of traditional and original praise songs with a rock style of music. Furthermore rock music was the trend for music during my teenage days. The title of my first Petra's album was "The Rock Cries Out". It is the eleventh release of Petra and their first praise album. It was released in October 3, 1989. The music is mostly a collection of traditional praise songs with a rock style. However, there are two original songs, both written by band founder Bob Hartman. I remember I would listen almost every day to their songs. Such an inspiration.

There was strong opposition from within the churches when Christian rock music was introduced especially in the 80's and early 90's. In fact there was a lot of comment given those days. Terms like Devil's music and so on was the common remark made. Some even stop their members from listening to such music. I am glad our church leaders taught us the importance of discernment.

Petra was formed in 1972 and after 33 years of music and ministry, Petra decided to officially retire the band. December 2005 marks the end to a ministry that has boldly and consistently proclaimed the gospel in the United States and abroad. The decision to retire the band was mutual by all members.

The band has impacted generations of musicians and fans alike over the years with over seven million CDs sold, four Grammy Awards, 10 Dove Awards and an induction into the Gospel Music Hall of Fame. Petra Praise paved the way for the rock genre perhaps more than any other in the Christian music industry. Though a rotating cast of musicians comprised Petra's lineup over the years, the band is closed strong with over 20 albums to its credit. I am glad to see Petra's album is still being sold in our local Christian music stores.

To all of the band members of Petra, thank you for being a blessing.

Be Blessed.

No comments: