Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Giving your very best


Jacques Barzun, an eminent French-born American scholar and educator once said “In teaching you cannot see the fruit of a day's work. It is invisible and remains so, maybe for twenty years”. There is so much truth in his statement and I am a living example of it.

There are many great teachers in St. Thomas Secondary School, Kuantan (class of 1987-1991) who has mold me into someone today. Names like Mr. Moore, Mr. Tan, Mrs. Khoo, Mrs. Lim and others are still fresh in my mind.

Today, my article is about one of them who have played a pivotal role in my last two years in St. Thomas. She is a teacher who has impacted a lot in my life simply by her humbleness and desire to give her very best to her students. Madam Chee Poh Kiem (I am so used to address her as Ms. Chee) was our English and Geography teacher at St. Thomas. She is always prepared and ready to answer our questions. As a student, it is easy to know whether a teacher is prepared or not prepared simply by observing the subject delivery.

One subject that I struggle to appreciate was Geography. It was simply because I am not able to visualize some of the terms used like frost when we were studying on North America. Living in a tropical country, many of us are not able to understand except for some of the boys who have been to overseas. At that time, our family had very limited means even to appreciate things outside of our town. Kuantan was my world. Add to that agony, we don’t even have a TV set at home to watch any documentary. But Ms. Chee will go the extra mile to prepare additional notes and teaching material to give us a clearer picture. She was my living National Geography channel. I learn about the world through her teaching. When my SPM result comes out, I was so thankful to God and Ms. Chee for helping me to obtain a strong credit for Geography.

Ms. Chee is a faithful believer of the Almighty God. She lived a Christ like lifestyle in school. Trust me, it is not easy to be a teacher in all-boys school. She ensured the needs of her students are met and giving her best in the profession the Lord has placed her in.

I am so blessed to read an article about her on The Star published on 27 May 2007 in conjunction with the Teacher’s Day Celebration. In the article, she said that it is her calling to be a teacher. How true it is. Some of us are called into the market place ministry where we serve God as teachers, engineers, doctors, adjusters, bankers and the list goes on.

I was searching for her contacts for a long time till last month when I met someone who had her mobile phone number. It was a joy to be in contact with her again.

Ms. Chee, thank you so much for investing in my life. I truly believe God has brought you to St. Thomas for many purpose but one of it is to mold me especially on how to give my very best in whatever thing I do.

Ephesians 1:16 - I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

please email me ms chee's contact details. i'm her old friend from kuantan chapel.
thanks
cikguchan@gmail.com