Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Stop Complaining!!!


Complain will always bring us disfavor. It is better to be a model of self-reliance than an object of someone else pity. By complaining of past offenses, we open the door to new ones. If we are shrewd, we will never tell the world of our failures or defeats without showing how we overcame them.

One two-letter word holds volumes of meaning:

If I had his money, I could do big things.

If I hadn't gotten sick, I would have won the sales contest.

If my parents had loved me more, I wouldn't be so messed up.

If my children loved me more, I wouldn't be such a nervous wreck.

If we had a nickel for every time someone used an if clause to complain about his or her life, you could retire wealthy right now.

Complaints and excuses fill the lives of some people. Nothing is ever good enough. No one is ever loving enough. No meal is tasty enough. No report is clear enough. No benefit is adequate enough. No book or movie is entertaining enough. And rather than endure the least little disappointment, it seems to be the person's choice of therapy to whine loud and long.

The problem with complaining is that it does no good. Certainly a person has every right to go "on record" by disagreeing with personal opinions, policies, and such. But when overruled or outvoted, then the person need to be a bit more gracious and less vocal.

Once the cycle of complaining begins, life only gets worse and worse. Think about it. To what lengths will we go to avoid spending time or work with someone who is a chronic complainer.

By all means, change the things you can to make your surrounding a better place. But when we can't do anything, then keep our complains to ourselves. Whining is worthless. Silence, on the other hand can be golden.