Monday, October 18, 2010

The Fragility of Life

In the last couple of weeks, we have seen two dramatic events that shocked many of us. One ended up in the untimely death of 13 people after a nasty bus accident together with five other vehicles in Malaysia. The other event ended in one of the most touching and dramatic rescue effort recorded in this decade that is the rescue of 33 miners who were trapped for 69 days in a mine shaft in Chile.

There are tons of articles about this two incidents available in the newsprint and in the internet. Many of my blogger friends jump the band wagon to blog about these two incidents and share their opinion. While reading all these articles, I started to ponder on how fragile life could be and not to take it for granted. We get so caught up in everyday life, we forget how fragile life is; especially on things that last for eternity.

We work hard to achieve success, acquire wealth, fill the aching voids in our heart, and to look good in society. But often times, we give very little thought to what is beyond this life or worst case; we ignore them even after knowing the truth. We get caught up in preparing a comfortable life for ourselves here and now and forget about the comfort of our afterlife. And then one day when it hits us that life is fragile, we find that all we have chased after here on earth will not save us when it comes to eternity.

Ecclesiastes 2: 10-11 says “I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure. My heart took delight in all my work, and this was the reward for all my labor. Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done, and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun.”

Our security and self-worth cannot be wrapped up in the things that we do in life. How many of us have done great things in life and have had many successes yet when we are alone at night we feel so empty and alone? King Solomon said it best in the above verse, “everything was meaningless.” We must live our lives in such a way that our hope, our security and self-worth are grounded in our Lord.

Life is meaningless without our Lord because He give us hope for eternity.

Be Blessed.

2 comments:

Reubz said...

So true... Been thinking about the same thing lately...

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Well said, bro! Amen!