Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Principle of Lending

Few days ago I shared with you on the principle of gleaning that I have learned over a cup of cappuccino (with soy milk :-) ) and latte with Ps. Steven Teo. Here is another principle that I have learned - The Principle of Lending. In comparison with the principle of gleaning, the principle of lending seems to be something that is very common yet many times we fail to realize the truth behind this act of giving.

Do you know the best investment in the world according to the Bible is to help the poor? It is so because helping the poor is lending to the Lord. This is stated in the book of Wisdom - Proverbs 19:17 "He who is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward him for what he has done". I love how the Living Translation rephrase this verse in a simple sentence - "If you help the poor, you are lending to the LORD--and he will repay you!"

Proverbs 19:17 states clearly that "You are lending to the Lord." What is so awesome about this is that the poor will not be the one to pay you back. You can be sure to be paid back because it is God who will pay you back. So in other words, if you give to the poor, feed the poor, help the poor, God will see it as a loan to Him and He will do everything in His power to pay you back. Isn’t God’s Word amazing!

Jesus speaks on how important to help the poor when he says in Matthew 25:35-40 - "For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.' Then the righteous will answer him, "Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?' And the king will answer them, "Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.' "

When you are generous and truly help those in need, you are actually doing so to Jesus. When you do it to the least of these, it is as if you’re helping Jesus Himself! Let this be encouragement to you the next time you see someone in need. When you help those who most need it, you are pleasing God.

Be Blessed.

No comments: