Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Some safety feedback for Air Asia

I send a feedback to Air Asia last Friday with regards to some concern I have with their ground crew practice of safety measures. I send my feedback online and the feedback system prompt me that I should get a feedback reply from Air Asia in 3 working days but till today, there is no feedback from them. So I guess it is good I blog about it since I am not sure whether my concern is being heard or not.

This observation took place as I was boarding flight FD3544 from Penang to Bangkok on 21st June 2009. I am surprised with the kind "no-importance for safety" attitude shown by this team of ground crews who manages flight FD3544. Here are two observation which I believe is crucial for Air Asia to look into and improve their safety guidelines.

Firstly, one of the ground crew place his walkie talkie on the engine of the aircraft and move to work elsewhere. As we were boarding the plane, we saw the walkie talkie on the engine. I wonder whether that is the right place to put a walkie talkie. What happen if the ground crew forgot about it and the flight start to take off ?? I can't imagine the consequences. A couple of passengers reminded the flight crew about it. I guess it was removed eventually since we reach Bangkok in one piece.

Secondly, one of the cabin crew almost fell down from the plane when she was trying to close the aircraft door due to a miscommunication between the ground crew and her. Since it is an old 737 plane, the Stewardess was having difficulty to close the door. Sudenlly the ground crew start pulling the staircase (boarding stairs) away. One of her leg was on the staircase and the other on the plane. She has to shout to the ground crew to stop pulling the staircase away. Thank God, nothing serious happen.

There are other safety observation that I notice which I don't want to share in this writeup. So to Air Asia, please look into this feedback and review your safety procedures and train your staff on the importance of safety.

1 comment:

A.Horribilis said...

They say a picture is worth a thousand words http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sghPVZUYQhA ... besides which, if this is AirAsia's take on safety and maintenance, then I'm speechless anyway. [ref: YouTube 'AirAsia Safety'. Thanks for keeping an eye on them too. Easki, C.Co-Op